The museum at Söderlångvik Manor, located in the main building, displays Amos Anderson’s art collection and information about his personal history. The museum was opened to the public in 1965 according to the wishes of Amos Anderson (1878–1961). The house underwent a thorough renovation in 2018–2021 when the interiors regained their original style from the 1930s. The interior of Söderlångvik is mostly classic design featuring both antique furniture and retro-style furniture. Most of Amos Anderson’s library is located here; the rest is in Amos’ apartment in Helsinki, which was opened as the museum Amos Andersons Hem in March 2023.

The permanent exhibition at Söderlångvik displays art from collections of the art association Konstsamfundet. The selection mainly consists of Finnish art from 1900 to 1950. 

The interiors are special in many ways. The first thing visitors encounter in the museum’s entrance hall is Juho Rissanen’s recently cleaned Bretagne-Madonna. The Billiard Room is dominated by seating furniture that was originally intended to be used by Prince Frederick Charles of Hesse, the would-be first king of Finland. The large dining room is furnished for 34 dinner guests, and there is a private cinema hidden in the basement. 

The museum annually organises one or more temporary exhibitions of contemporary art. The most unusual features of the museum are on the outside: the four caryatids—the female-shaped columns from the Swedish Theatre’s original façade from 1866—have graced Amos Anderson’s garage since the mid-1930s, when the theatre was renovated. 

Come learn about Amos Anderson’s impressive life and see his extensive art collection as well as our exhibitions! We are open every day 11-17 from May to September, with the exception of Midsummer Fri-Sun.

Opening hours & entrance fees

Group bookings

More information about Amos Anderson (in Swedish and Finnish) is available at

Exhibition 2024: Emma Helle Summer Guests

2 May–30 September 2024

This year’s artist at Söderlångvik Museum is the Finnish sculptor Emma Helle. The exhibition gets its name from the titular piece Summer Guests. It’s a sculpture of a carefree person resting under a tree full of fruits, mushrooms and animals – all of them summer guests of sorts. Likewise Emma Helle’s artworks have moved to Söderlångvik for the summer, to leave when autumn approaches.

The manor exhibits 14 sculptures in clay, porcelain, stoneware and wood. The artworks blend in with the interior of the home museum, while at the same time they stand out with their splendour of colour and evocativeness and comment on the art and objects in their surroundings. A series of sketchy washes and gouaches painted by Helle in Paris in 2017 is also on display. They include the architecture and details of Notre Dame and various medieval artefacts from the Musée de Cluny. In the park, the keen-eyed will also find a dozen ceramic mandrakes emerging from various flower beds and pots.

Emma Helle’s ceramic works are characterised by nuanced glazes, splendid gilding and lively sense of movement. With their vital attitude, they are reminiscent of, among other things, the extravagance of the Rococo period. Helle borrows her motifs freely from various mythologies and art historical eras. Sometimes the works are characterised by an unabashed sexuality and humour, but always with refinement and aesthetic appeal. Emma Helle’s art leaves no one cold.


Open intro guiding

All visitors receive a short 15-minute introductory guiding included in the ticket price during the following times:

1.7-11.8.2024 every day at 14.00 in Swedish and 15.00 in Finnish.

2.5-30.6.2024 och 12.8-30.9.2024 Saturdays and Sundays at 14.00 in Swedish and 15.00 in Finnish.

Please ask the guide for information in English.

At all times visitors can familiarise themselves with the exhibition with a printed Gallery Guide and audio guide.

Exhibition in the restaurant

Niclas Warius: Vanitas Chimitoensis

The series Vanitas Chimitoensis came about when photographer Niclas Warius (b. 1972) searched for the soul of businessman and art patron Amos Anderson (1878-1961) at his former summer residence Söderlångvik in the autumn of 2018. The place, which had recently closed its doors for a three-year renovation, was in many ways in a poor and worn condition. Warius rummaged through the building from attic to basement looking for signs and clues, objects and moods for his still lifes. The artist’s imagination combined with the environment of Söderlångvik to create captivating and enigmatic works that, instead of luxurious facades, depict something bizarre and twisted. The mood of the images is calm, melancholic and nostalgic, time seems to stand still. We don’t really know which decade we are in. 

The series of symbolic still lifes is one of Niclas Warius’ extensive production with a vanitas theme that has been shown in many exhibitions in Finland and Sweden. Vanitas paintings deal with the transience of worldly wealth and were popular especially in the Netherlands in the 17th century.

Niclas Warius’ exhibition Vanitas Chimitoensis was shown at Café Vivan in Söderlångvik in the summer of 2019. Seven of the series of eight works are on permanent display at the Manor’s restaurant.


From the house, you can enjoy a beautiful view of the garden that Paul Olsson designed in the 1930s. A fountain called “Nyckeln” meaning “The Key” was built at that time. Over the years, the park has gone through many changes, but the aim has been to preserve parts of the original design. Many of the trees on the big lawn were planted by guests of Amos Anderson. During the large renovation project 2019–2021, the park was restored to its former glory as well.

During Lux Söderlångvik Nov-Dec 2024, the park will be decorated with light art.